You might have come across the term ‘net metering’ in articles, news items and conversations on solar energy. Here’s all you need to know about it.
When you install a solar system, you generate electricity for your usage. Sometimes, you may not use all the electricity generated. For example, in the summer months, during the daytime, more electricity can be generated. Would it not be great if you could give it back to the grid to reduce future electricity bills? This is where net metering comes in. It is a utility billing mechanism available for solar energy users. The utility company offers credit to residential and business customers who generate excess electricity with their solar panel systems and send it back to the grid.
You get credit as you will be only billed for the “net” energy used each month, that is, the difference between the energy produced by the solar power system and the energy consumed by the house/office over the monthly billing period. You will actually be able to see the meter run backwards. The excess electricity will traverse to the home electrical panel and then to the utility grid.
Apart from saving dollars on utility bills, net metering provides other benefits as well:
- Net metering is an easy process to implement and use.
- It is an excellent way to utilize excess energy generated if a battery storage system is not feasible.
- It will increase the usage of renewable energy sources and reduce the use of non-renewable resources as people in the neighborhood will end up consuming electricity generated by solar panels.
- There is minimal energy loss as excess energy is immediately sent to the grid and utilized by the nearest homes.
- As more people in the community will use solar energy, the health of the families and the environment around them will benefit.
Many states in the United States have implemented net metering. Net metering policies are evolving with respect to rates, accurate valuation of solar energy, etc., so that the society as a whole, benefits from solar energy.
Take advantage of net metering with GreenBrilliance
Do not delay going solar as it is the energy of the future. Contact us @ 703-657-0090 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a comprehensive solar solution and cash in on the multiple benefits of solar energy.